Hair problems were never so common. There are hair care chemicals, changing food patterns, and increasing pollution. Issues relating to hair loss, hair thinning, premature greying, roughening are all on the rise. Conventional treatment measures would again go the chemical way, adding to the vicious cycle.
Here is where Ayurveda helps. There are proven, safe, and effective ways to a healthy hair, which have been used for centuries now. According to Ayurveda, hair and bone are very similar and so what is good/bad for the bones is good/bad for the hair too. Hair problems are due to excessive pitta, which needs to be addressed.
Healthy hair is the result of a combination of diet, Ayurvedic herbal oils, exercise, sleep, and meditation. Some of the popular herbs are listed below along with other changes that can promote healthy hair growth.
1. Bhringaraaja: It translates into “king of the hair” and is useful for most hair problems including hair fall, premature balding, calming the mind, and promoting sleep. It can be used both internally and externally.
2. Brahmi: Another wonderful chemical for the hair, it can be mixed with curd and applied on the hair to prevent hair fall and promote hair growth.
3. Amla: Hair packs made of amla powder and curd or water along with henna have been used since ages to ensure healthy hair.
4. Ritha: These are natural soap nut powders without the use of chemicals and can be used for regular hair wash. The natural oils from the scalp are preserved and therefore hair remains healthy.
5. Natural oils: A combination of oils including coconut, almond, olive, mustard, sesame and brahmi are popularly used on the hair. These promote hair growth, improve texture, and prevent greying. Massaging warm oil on the scalp and hair and leaving it overnight before washing gives great results.
6. Aloe vera: Either in juice form or gel form, consuming aloe vera is useful in controlling hair loss.
7. Sesame seeds: Consume a spoonful of white sesame seeds which is rich in magnesium and calcium. As noted above, these are essential (like for bone) for hair growth and useful in maintaining healthy hair.
Fresh fruits and vegetables like juices of carrot and lettuce, vitamin and mineral rich products like sprouts, nuts, soybeans, yeast, milk, and whole grains should be part of the diet to improve overall hair health.