Shikakai is well known for herb which has been used since ages for hair growth,arresting hair fall and other skin conditions. Shikakai powder has been used as a hair pack, herbal shampoo ,hair wash product. It is mainly found in the Western parts of Asia and South East Asia. In Asia, It can be commonly found in the plains that are mostly warm in the centre and the southern parts of India.
Basically we use Shikakai fruit pods that contain tiny seeds that we throw away. Other than that shikakai has various benefits and its plant’s bark and leaves are also used. You can get shikakai from the market in powder or dried fruit form. Shikakai can be used as a hair wash, herbal shampoo or even hair pack to get rid of various hair related problems. Let’s see what are the benefits of shikakai first before starting off with the uses of shikkakai.
Benefits of shikakai for hair care
Shikkakai usually doesn’t lather much until it is mixed with reetha which is also called as soapnut but still shikakai effectively cleanses the scalp and hair. It can be considered as a mild hair cleanser which is good for dry scalp as it doesn’t take away too much of the natural oils from the scalp.
- Shikakai is a commonly used herb that has many remedial qualities.
- It is popularly referred as "fruit for the hair" as it has a naturally mild pH, that help gently clean the hair without stripping it of natural oils.
- Shikakai is used to control dandruff, promoting hair growth and strengthening hair roots
- May act as hair cleanser.
- May help strengthen hair roots.
- May help control dandruff.
- May promote healthy hair.
· If you have curly hair, shikakai is a great way to detangle your locks after a shampoo. Gently run your fingers through your hair while rinsing.
Shikakai can be used as a hair pack as well. Hair packs with shikakai are extremely beneficial for the treatment of dandruff and other scalp related problems as we mentioned in the benefits of shikakai. For the hair pack, you will need dried shikakai or shikakai powder, neem leaves, fenugreek powder and some dried amla. Boil all of them in a cup of water. Boil them for 15 minutes and then let it cool. Mash the contents with hands and strain the water. Use that water to massage the scalp and hair. Keep it for 30 minutes and rinse off with plain water.