Punarnava is one of the very important anti inflammatory medicinal herbs. It is well known for its diuretic and swelling reducing activities. Also, Punarnava is an excellent anti aging herb. It makes the body new again, so the name Punarnava. According to Ayurveda Punarnava brings new life in the human beings by helping several health problems. It is a creeper that grows everywhere in India and it bears tiny cluster of beautiful flowers that are pink in color. It is rightly called punarnava as it brings back lost vigor and vitality. This is a miracle herb that we should all get to know as it has wonderful health benefits and medicinal uses. It's botanical name is Boerhavia Diffusa.
This is an edible plant that can be easily found if we know to identify it. This plant is best identified with it's flowers, the flowers are quite tiny and we have to look closely enough to find it. We can also dry the roots whenever we get the plant and use it year round. You can also try the Punarnava powder and tablets sold in the markets, though I would prefer the fresh herb. Sometimes I am really surprised at the amount of diseases that a single herb can cure. Punarnava is a green leafy, which is approximately of 2 to 3 feet long. The leaves are rounded in shape and contains small hair like out growths. During rainy season the flowers will be blossomed which are of pink and white color. The herb is sweet, pungent and astringent in taste. It is light and rough by nature and hot in action. Its root,stem and entire herb is used for medicinal purpose.
Punarnava herb is like that, since it is a blood purifier it treats many diseases from skin allergies to constipation. Nowadays the word detox is getting very famous, but I can confidently say that punarnava plant is a real detox plant that removes all the toxins from the body very effectively. Punarnava is excellent for treating edema as it is a very good diuretic, try taking it in either one of the ways mentioned below till you get good relief. Punarnava also is said to prevent cancer and uti with regular use. Side effects: This herb is best avoided by pregnant women.
Benefits of Punarnava Powder according to Ayurveda
- Punarnava removes excess Kapha (water) dosha (humor) from the body.
- Punarnava supports the functioning of the heart, liver and kidneys.
- Punarnava helps to maintain balanced fluid levels.
- Punarnava Powder works to maintain healthy the urinary system
- Punarnava Powder mild laxative in nature.
- It works as Rasayana (Longevity enhancer) detoxify and nourishing the various body channels.
- Punarnava Powder enhances the quality of dhatus (tissues) like nutrient plasma (Rasa dhatu), Blood (Rakta dhatu) Muscles (Mamsa dhatu) fat (Meda dhatu) Bone marrow & nerves (Majja dhatu) Reproductive fluids (Shukra dhatu).
- Punarnava Powder helps to maintain healthy healthy fluid levels
- Punarnava is used to support comfortable movement of the joints for those with Kapha (water) constitutions and kaphadosha(humor)(water)imbalances.
- Punarnava promotes the healthy urinary tract.
- It is a kidneys tonic in Ayurveda.
- It helps to maintain reproductive organs health..
- This herb is used for the water metabolism.
- It is said to have detoxifying properties